Impact & Communications Officer
To apply, please click here
We're all about empowering people to take action in key areas where we can have the most impact: to keep ahead of climate change, save the reef and oceans, restore our iconic landscapes and protect our unique wildlife.
Central to our approach is the use of citizen science, where people from all walks of life gather critical scientific data to generate environmental insights, inform future policy and motivate long-term behaviour change.
Earthwatch was founded in 1971, (established in Australia in 1982) with five offices around the globe, aiming to empower people to save the natural world. We do this by engaging the community directly in environmental and sustainability experiences through Work (corporate programs), Life (student and teacher programs) and Play (public expeditions). This hands-on experience bridges the gap between science and the community, creating an informed society that can translate scientific knowledge into sustainable action.
We are a small, yet powerful organisation united in the following values:
Responsibility: The wellbeing of our staff, researchers, volunteers and the environments in which we work is at the core of our operations
Integrity: We act at all times in good faith and with exemplary honesty and transparency
Professionalism: All of our actions demonstrate our commitment to the highest standards of professionalism and service
Inspiration: We are inspired by our work and we seek to inspire others with experiences and knowledge that enable them to take action
Inclusion: We are greater than the sum of our parts; we collaborate with others and bring together diverse backgrounds with dignity, respect and fairness
When scientists communicate effectively, science thrives. We are a small company doing great things and we’d like to shout about it. This role will translate complicated science for the public, allowing Earthwatch discoveries become digestible information which impacts everyday lives. We aim to elevate our visibility through the creation and delivery of growth initiatives, helping make Earthwatch become an organisation well known for the amazing things it does.
Can you communicate our impact? Excited about this new opportunity which combines marketing, science and helps the environment? If so, we’d love to hear what you can bring to our team.
We appreciate that we are seeking a variety of skills and experience. If you love the sound of this opportunity, but can’t check 100% of the boxes, please get in touch!
- Impact reporting
- Visual communications, science communications and content creation
- Brand management
- Other duties
- Bridge the gap between science and the public, by communicating Earthwatch impact and outcomes effectively
- Delivery of print/digital material and impact case studies for behaviour change programs
- Produce quarterly marketing and communications reports for Board of Directors
- Collaborate with Chief Scientist and broader team to coordinate, collect data, and write effective impact reporting
Visual communications, Science communications and content creation
- Oversee the development of all Earthwatch digital and print communications materials including newsletters, marketing collateral, fundraising direct mail, e-News, social media posts and website content
- Work with journalists and maintain database to distribute releases, statements and grow Earthwatch media reach
- Engage volunteers and interns to assist with Impact, Marketing and Communications projects
- Develop and implement a communications plan for Earthwatch, with flexibility to tailor to a broad range of programs
- Assist with planning and coordination of Earthwatch fundraising initiatives, including campaigns
- Work with Operations team to promote fundraising and manage donors
- Evaluate and improve on fundraising initiatives year on year
- Work with Leadership Team to plan and execute key events
- Work in collaboration with the Head of Business Operations and Digital Marketing Assistant to design and deliver a marketing plan to:
- Improve our SEO
- Increase our web traffic and social media visibility and followers
- Convert more visitors into supporters
- Increase sales for retail expeditions
- Maintain and manage website CMS (current website migration project underway)
- Work with the Programs team, to advertise expedition progress, highlights and blogs in real time
- Monitor media & marketing trends to grow Earthwatch brand in new directions
- Be the key point of contact with external PR advisors to maximise communication opportunities arising out of all programs, including research results, education program outcomes, fellowship and participant experiences
- Work with the Head of Business Operations to manage the Marketing budget
- Manage communications priorities across all programs, while maintaining consistent brand voice and messaging
- Approve and oversee the development of customer facing materials, ensuring consistency and adherence to style guide.
- Train and guide team to produce brand consistent presentations, documents and other materials, and check all materials prior to publication.
Other duties that support our mission
- Participate in staff meetings, workshops, webinars and training activities as required.
- Travel to project and event locations as required
- Participate as a member of the Incident Management Team (on-call roster)
- Assist with events and promotional activities
- Undertake other duties as required
You want to make science more diverse and inclusive and you’re looking for the perfect opportunity to do it! You have a creative flair, alongside a keen eye for detail and are passionate about the environment and the power of storytelling. You‘re a science communications pro, confident in your ability to engage new audiences and improve reach.
You’re comfortable in all things tech and can successfully work autonomously as well as effectively within a small team environment. You’re right at home within an inclusive culture that promotes work life balance, positive mental health, team collaboration and outside the box thinking.
- Be an Australian citizen or hold a valid work visa for full-time work in Australia
- Current Working with Children Check or willingness to obtain
- Degree from a recognised tertiary institution in a relevant field (science communication, digital marketing or similar)
- Essential Skills/Competencies
- Proven experience in science communications for a variety of audiences
- Proven ability to write publications (i.e., editorials, e-news, online content and reports)
- Experience in or knowledge of fundraising
- Experience in or knowledge of impact evaluation and behaviour change
- Experience in creating a marketing plan
- Ability to measure and report on the performance of marketing campaigns
- Proficiency in social media for business (including paid advertising)
- Knowledge of website CMS/backend
- Demonstrated proficiency in software packages such Word, Excel, Canva, Adobe Creative Cloud and CRMs
- Experience in brand management and tone of voice
- Ability to network and build relationships with various types of stakeholders
- Strong organisational skills
- Ability to lead and engage (this position has one part-time, direct report)
- Experience in financial/budget management
- Experience in data management
- Knowledge of Communigator, Mailchimp or similar EDM software
Key selection criteria
- Demonstrated experience in science communications
- Demonstrated skill in web and digital technologies, including new and emerging tools and platforms
- Experienced in executing marketing/fundraising campaigns end to end
- The ability to work with various stakeholders, including Traditional Owners, media and Corporates
- A collaborative team member, who easily builds rapport and can contribute to a positive work culture
What we offer
MODE OF EMPLOYMENT: 4 days per week. 1-year fixed term contract. (Potential to increase to full-time/permanent)
SALARY: As agreed, plus 10.5% superannuation (with future increases aligned with government schedules) and 16 days annual leave (20 days, pro-rata)
Supportive small team environment
Green office space in Carlton
Flexible work arrangements, including working from home
Employee Assistance Program
Salary Packaging option
Professional Development with upskilling support
Opportunity to travel as a fielding assistant, as available
REPORTS TO: Head of Business Operations
POSITION TITLES THAT REPORT TO THIS POSITION: Digital Marketing Assistant
INTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS: Earthwatch employees, volunteers/interns, Earthwatch international staff
EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS: Traditional Owners, Media, Customers, Donors, Suppliers, Corporate partners, Scientists, Volunteers
As an evolving role, it is to be noted that this outline cannot be representative of the full tasks list to be undertaken by the successful applicant. It is recognised that the duties of all roles can be subject to change from time to time. Alterations to duties and responsibilities within the scope of the role should be expected.
Earthwatch Australian is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, all genders, young people, LGBTQI people and people with a disability are encouraged to apply. Applicants must have the right to live and work in Australia to be considered for this job.
Love the sound of this opportunity, but can’t check 100% of the boxes, get in touch! Send your queries to